About the project
Panta was proud to design and install the mechanical and electrical services in the Oncology Centre, a highly advanced hospital crucial to the wellbeing of people in Malta.
Panta designed and built most of the project’s mechanical and electrical systems and liaised with specialised subcontractors on others. Panta’s design and procurement team consisted of approximately 20 engineers, designers, draughtspersons and estimators.
At the peak, the on-site team exceeded 200 people, with some tradesmen having worked with Panta for over 30 years. Our engineering team handled project management, overseeing installations, testing, commissioning and handover to the client.
Given the magnitude and nature of the project, we were presented with several engineering and financial challenges. These were mainly due to a hospital’s engineering services being more complicated than those of a conventional project. Nevertheless, Panta successfully delivered the project in a short period of time – from being a hole in the ground in March 2012 to Phase 1 completion in December 2014 and Phase 2 completion in September 2015.
We are particularly proud of the project’s environmental considerations. Through our design and selection of materials, we minimised the building’s carbon footprint by ensuring optimal energy efficiency. To physically quantify energy savings, we installed a state-of-the-art building management system (BMS). Connected to the building’s plant and measuring devices, the BMS computes net savings in addition to being a centralised equipment-control system.
- Heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC)
- Domestic hot and cold water and purified water systems
- Black, grey and radioactive water drainage systems
- Rainwater system
- Computerised building management system
- Medical gases
- Vertical transportation
- Air tube package transportation system
- Electrical, low voltage and extra low voltage switchgear & distribution systems
- Electrical lighting (normal and essential) and power systems
- Nurse call system
- Fire alarm and fire-fighting systems
- I.P. infrastructure
- Lightning protection system